How to create 50,000 multi-product landing pages that dominate SERPs and boost your ROI – in weeks… not years
Creating multiple landing pages that produce a healthy ROI, and that search engines love, can seem like an unclimbable mountain.
The catch: it’s not enough to simply build pages.
The conversion power of a page relies on:
- Scale – we’re talking tens of thousands of pages, not dozens
- Page relevance
- Your ability to adapt to changing demand, competition and actual page performance.
So it presents a fork in the road for enterprise eCommerce businesses wanting to expand their reach: Should you build or buy your landing pages?
In this blog post, we’ll compare the difference between the two:
- Do you build these landing pages yourself?
- Do you have the resources?
- Can you constantly optimise and monitor performance?
- Do you have the data to know which keywords to target and which ones to avoid?
- If a page stops performing, can you switch it out for another page and keyword opportunity quickly?
- Is it even possible?
- Is it more viable to buy?
We’ll use the Longtail UX Customer Acquisition Platform to illustrate what this looks like.
First, let’s clarify what we mean when we say product landing page.
The definition may surprise you.
What is a product landing page?
So, you have your standard product landing page with a product heading, benefits, social proof, product description etc.
They’re great for promoting single products linked to a SERP or Google ad.
But for capturing actual demand in eCommerce, the best landing page is a multi-product landing page.
And to truly dominate SERPs and accelerate ROI, you’re going to need thousands of them.
What is a multi-product landing page?
As you might have guessed, multi-product landing pages display multiple matching products for any given search term on one page (unlike most product landing pages promoting only a single product or even category landing pages promoting several products within a category).
But there’s more to it.
There are two critical conditions for capturing the demand of your target audience with landing pages:
- Scaling is only possible if you know how to identify and target your long tail – the keywords your market is using right now to find exactly what they want in just a few clicks.
- A high converting and performing landing page displays only products that are an exact match (or as close as possible) to the search term.
Here’s the difference between a single, multi-product, and exact match multi-product landing page:
Why should they be an exact match?
Great question. Let’s read on.
Why an exact match multi-product landing page is the best landing page
Multi-product landing pages that show only exact match products:
- Convert 20 – 30% higher than single product landing pages.
- See 40% of shoppers spend more
- See 44% of shoppers repeat buy
- Minimise pogo sticking on Google Shopping Ads – decrease sessions per unique visitor (=ad cost) by 10-15%.
- Rank faster and higher for Organic Search than standard web pages – up to 10x faster.
Multi-product landing pages displaying exact match products are the key to scaling your reach and capturing the longtail demand of your target audience.
So, should you build?
Or is there more in it for you if you outsource your landing pages to a third-party specialist like Longtail UX?
First, let’s explore what it looks like to build these pages internally.
Creating landing pages that capture demand: Build
What is build?
Build is the DIY product landing page solution that captures the demand currently escaping you. But it’s nowhere near as easy as it sounds.
Instead of outsourcing, you use the organisation’s internal skills, people, and budget to create, measure and optimise pages for the longtail.
What building thousands of multi-product landing pages internally looks like
Here’s the general process of a build scenario:
- Initial research: calling on your engineering, marketing, SEO and product teams – and Google Analytics – locate the category opportunities already on your site but unrealised
- Keyword research: gather a list of at least 10,000 high-quality longtail keywords that meet the criteria of the categories you want to reach – use a keyword research tool like SEMrush or Ubersuggest.
- Approval: You present the data to the CFO – they’ll want to know how much it will cost, the time it will take, and the resources it will consume.
- Submit your ticket: you put in your request to engineering for the landing pages to be built.
- Page building: creating one professional-looking landing page could take a few hours or a few weeks. It all depends on the ability of your team and the number of keywords you want to target.
- Design (including landing page copy) could take anywhere from 15 to 80 hours;
- Development – 24-80 hours;
- DevOps – 8-24 hours;
- QA (Quality Assurance) – 8-16 hours.
Then, even if your team can create 1000, 5000, or 10,000 multi-product landing pages, statistically, they will take up to 12 months to be indexed and ranked.
The hardest part of build
Apart from the insane coding skills needed, the hardest part about building and maintaining your own multi-product, exact-match landing pages is the inability to measure your ROI.
You can see where your pages rank in search engines, but can you trace your conversion rates with complete accuracy?
Likelihood of success
A great result would be 5% of your landing pages on page 1.
1% might get to position one if your targeting was on point.
Any page below position nine was probably a waste of your time and money, and you should find another keyword to replace it.
Without trying to drive you one way or another…
Honestly, build is incredibly hard to pull off and make successful.
You can see why these projects get pushed aside:
- They don’t scale quickly enough.
- The burden on your budget and team is too great.
- When you rely on your own metrics, there’s no way to honestly know how successful each landing page is or your ROI.
- You need to factor in the resources required for daily optimisation to keep up with shifting trends and low performing pages.
Here’s an easier way to scale.
Creating high converting multi-product landing pages: Buy
What is buy?
This is where you pass the task of producing landing pages at scale to a third party, like Longtail UX.
Instead of draining internal resources, you lean on the expertise and skills of those who specialise in capturing category demand.
What buy looks like
The best way to explain this is to show you how it works at Longtail UX:
Step 1) Your LUX Customer Acquisition Strategy
- We learn the categories most important to you
- We uncover the non-brand search gaps in your current site structure
Then, we create a strategy for designing and deploying your multi-product LUX Smart Pages.
Step 2) In-depth keyword research
- Your product feed and Google Suite Data are ingested into the LUX system so that we can identify the biggest growth opportunities for new customer acquisitions.
- We pull out hundreds of thousands of search terms with a beneficial monthly demand.
- Our LUX ranking checker analyses each piece of data to make sure we’re not targeting a keyword you already rank for.
You and your team approve every single search term!
Step 3) LUX Smart Page Template Creation
- Our in-house engineers create the template your LUX Smart Pages will be ‘stamped out’ from each day.
n.b. Longtail UX doesn’t create any content. We only use what you’ve already approved – the content in your current feed.
- Most LUX Smart Pages look and operate just like your PLPs.
Once again: everything is approved by you before the LUX Smart Pages go live!
Step 4) Launch day a.k.a. The part where you start winning new customers
It’s time to hit go, and your LUX Smart Pages go live.
- Your LUX Organic Smart Pages come with a unique site map (created by the Longtail UX engineers), ready for uploading into your Google Search Console.
- Humans and Google love LUX Smart Pages – they index faster and rank higher, so you can start winning new customers asap.
Step 5) Daily testing & optimisation
We never stop testing and optimising your LUX Smart Pages.
Ensuring every page has a purpose and contributes towards your new customer acquisition.
And it’s possible because LUX Smart Pages are 100% measurable (unlike build) – in real-time.
And… if any of the pages don’t drive your core KPI – we replace them with a new opportunity!
So what results can you expect from the LUX Smart Pages?
Lean in. This is where it gets really juicy…
The results of buy
- Faster indexing: within weeks, almost all LUX Smart Pages are indexed by Google
- Reach further: ranking on thousands of keywords you have never tapped into (or ranked on) before
- Faster ranking: Smart Pages typically rank up to 10x faster than a landing page built in-house.
Want to know why LUX Smart Pages rank so fast? Click here to schedule a call with our team, and we’ll show you precisely why.
- More organic traffic: 40% increase in organic traffic to your entire site from your LUX Smart Pages. This isn’t including the overall uplift you will see from the power of your LUX Smart Links.
- Increased revenue: with a LUX Smart Page, we only target non-brand keywords delivering a high percentage of new customers that would otherwise have gone to your competitors.
- 100% Measurable: real-time metrics such as new customer acquisition, total traffic driven, revenue, ROI and more – the class of metrics commonly seen in paid search.
50,000 multi-product landing pages in under six weeks
How long does it take for LUX Smart Pages to go live?
Say you wanted to target 50,000 keywords, the LUX Smart Pages would typically be ready to go live in under six weeks.
With Longtail UX working in its strengths – creating these landing pages on your behalf and plugging them into your system – it gives you the freedom to work in your strengths; to continue growing the brand without the drain on your internal resources.
Here’s a side-by-side comparison of buy and build:
But, just because buy is the easy option, it doesn’t mean it’s right for everyone.
So how do you know which way is right for your site? Read on.
How to know if you should build or buy?
When to build
The perfect time to build is when you’re starting out.
From the outset, you build your category landing pages and content (lots of content), prioritising long tail demand over short tail demand.
But the limitations still exist:
- Do you have the budget?
- How long will one landing page take you? How long will the entire project take you?
- Can you optimise, measure and tweak every single landing page daily?
- Can you build landing pages quick enough to reach your ROI targets?
When to buy
While it’s never out of the question for a new site to capture immediate demand, buy is typically an option used by a site that already has:
- An established brand and online presence
- Strong domain authority
- A good SEO strategy in place
- Already successful in level 0 to level 2 categories (landing pages build on top of funnel keywords, categories, main menu, sub-menus)
- Has a large product volume with multiple exact matching products for any given keyword
When you start building out your category landing pages with top of funnel keywords, each landing page has to come under either the main menu or sub-menu category.
Pro tip: You could try to index a search result page, but we’ve found this strategy doesn’t rank as high as when you host a landing page through your third party.
Start capturing the demand with Longtail UX.
So the obvious solution to your ROI dreams is to buy.
Does that mean you should cancel your SEO strategy and fire your internal development team?
Should you shut down Google ads, delete your current landing pages and break it off with the agency you’ve been with for the last seven years?
It might surprise you to hear that everything you’re already doing – everything that’s brought you this far – keep doing it.
Continue to publish great content.
Keep building your category landing pages.
The Longtail UX Customer Acquisition Platform is not a replacement for your current strategies.
Longtail UX is your sherpa to the peak of the mountain.
The custard on the apple pie.
Your website on a thousand energy drinks.
And it can all happen without feeling like a cost to you, your team, your budgets or resources.
Is there a risk? Of course, there is. Any new move in business is.
But when you witness what a LUX Smart Page looks like plugged into your site, you’ll understand why so many other major eCommerce sites worldwide are leaning into Longtail UX.
If there’s a demand category (or 70,000), you’ve had your eye on…
If you’ve been wondering how to create high converting landing pages (at scale), dominate the SERPs, and see a boost of 30-80% in customer acquisition, click here to talk with a member of our team.